When you discover the tell-tale trickle of water pouring down from your ceiling, it could be easy to worry. But if you keep a cool head and do the proper procedures, you will have it fixed in no time. Here’s a rundown of what you should do if you discover a roof leak. Reduce the amount of damage. When you find a leak, you should take immediate measures to preserve your belongings and the interior of your home. Submerge the leaking water in a big bucket or other container. Move any electrical equipment, furniture, or other potentially damaged items. If you can’t move something, wrap it in plastic to keep it safe. You can even check them with atex roofing and remodeling.
- When your roof leaks, bubbles or bulges in the ceiling are common. This indicates that water is accumulating, and if the pressure is not released, it might cause your entire ceiling to collapse. To drain the water, pierce the bubble with the point of a screwdriver or a pin.
- If you didn’t catch the leak before it ruined some of your possessions, you may be able to claim some compensation through insurance. Check with your homeowner’s insurance provider to determine if damage from roof leaks is covered.
- Look for the source of the leak. The majority of roof leaks are caused by damaged or missing shingles, corroded or pulled-up flashing around chimneys, vents, or other protrusions, holes where nails have worked themselves free, or blocked gutters. Also, try with atex roofing and remodeling
- Examine both the inside and exterior of your roof in daylight. Remove any impediments and try to pinpoint the exact area where the water’s going in. If feasible, try a do-it-yourself remedy. You may be able to remedy the leak yourself if you locate the source, depending on the severity of the problem. If the problem is broken sealing around flashing, for example, you may be able to repair it by applying roof tar or cleaning out gutters and downspouts.
- Engage the services of an expert. In many circumstances, repairing the leak yourself is unrealistic, especially if your roof is older. A competent roofing contractor will identify the source of the leak and take the necessary procedures to address it. In addition to ensuring the job is done correctly, you’ll avoid potentially risky journeys up on top of your roof with a ladder.